Friday, October 21, 2011

My Father's Hair - a family poem; a hair poem

MY FATHER’S HAIR
by
Greg Pincus

My father hasn’t cut his hair in thirty-seven years.
So part of him’s a mystery:
I’ve never seen his ears.

My mother claims he used to be
Clean cut and oh-so-cute.
Yet now there's no denying it:
My dad's become hirsute.

You try and comb his tangles out,
You end up glassy-eyed.
An hour after Dad goes out
His hair is still inside.

When we need string to fly a kite,
We use dad’s hair instead.
There’s lots of oddball uses
For that stuff up on his head.

Still, let me share a secret here,
I hope you’re not appalled...
But I can say without a doubt
I wish my dad was bald.


This week's Poetry Friday roundup is over at the always-delicious Jama's Alphabet Soup. Go on and check it out.

If you want to get all my poems emailed to you for freeee as they hit the blog, enter your email address in the box below then click subscribe!

8 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

When I was in grade school, my friend Sheley taught us the song "They're Always in the Way."
The refrain:
Oh, they're always in the way!
The cows chew them like hay,
They hide in the dirt on grandpop's shirt;
They're always in the way.

Your poem reminded me of a very funny moment in childhood!

catherinemjohnson.com said...

Wonderful, Greg!

jama said...

Hilarious. Laughed at every stanza, says the short person who's married to a bald man. :D

Corey Schwartz said...

Ha, love it!

Charles Ghigna said...

Love your light-hearted
(light-headed!) poem, Greg!
Your dad and I have much in common. ;-)

BALD EGO

GatheringBooks said...

Like Jama, I couldn't stop smiling as I read through the poem. I am married to a bald man as well. Will definitely read this aloud to him, I'm sure I'd hear a lot of chuckles. :)

Frank said...

Like, +1!

Rita said...

Bald jokes, always funny. :D This line--"An hour after Dad goes out / His hair is still inside"-- made me laugh out loud.

Thanks, Greg! Amazing and hilarious, as always!