Tuesday, January 06, 2009

The Happy New Year Conundrum

No, that's not the title of a lost Robert Ludlum novel (too many words anyway, I think). Rather, it's the question I'd posed on Facebook but seems worthy of blog discussion as well:

When does one stop saying "Happy New Year!"?

There were many thoughts on this, including Mary Hershey's statement that January 26th was the last acceptable date... but she had no proof! Besides, Mary has been known to go for humor....

Still, I know I said "Happy New Year" a lot today, because it was the first time I'd seen many folks this year.

So, have I gone too far? Is it like wearing white pants after Labor Day? Does anyone know????

2 comments:

Lisa Yee said...

Yeah, but then if you factor in Chinese New Year, that would extend it into February.

Jay Asher said...

Happy New Year, Greg.