Friday, January 13, 2017

Night Write - a writing poem

Night Write
by
Greg Pincus

Cannot sleep.
Turn on light.
Grab a pen -
Time to write!

Brain's awake.
Words fly fast.
Write and then
Read, at last.

Sometimes words
Come out right.
Sadly, this is not that night.

This was actually a poem started during the writing of The 14 Fibs of Gregory K. Then I thought about similar topics again when I was working on The Homework Strike, but the poem never fit either book. It's possible that it's autobiographical, but I'm not saying :-)

It's Poetry Friday once again! This week, you can check out the roundup of posts over at Keri Recommends. Lots o' good stuff piling up there (read her post and click on the "click this widget" widget to see more!).

And, if you want to get all my poems (and only the poems) emailed to you for freeee as they hit the blog, enter your email address in the box below then click subscribe!

9 comments:

Linda B said...

In that middle of the night, things seem very good, don't they? I like that you have a poem that shows it so well.

Bridget Magee said...

I've experienced the middle of the night brilliance, too, Greg! Poetry is a great go to when I experience insomnia (more often than I want to admit). Love your humor - always. =)

Anonymous said...

"Sadly this is not that night." Happens more often than not. But one still has to try, because every so often, there's a gem. (This poem is one of them.)

Kay said...

Fun poem! I laughed at the ending because I can relate to those words that don't turn out right. But at least the words are down to give us something to work with.

Linda Mitchell said...

Fantastic punch to those lines....probably because of the truth of them. ha! Great poem. Sorry, it didn't fit into the books. But, it has a place today and we get to benefit. Thanks! Have a great week.

Brenda at FriendlyFairyTales said...

I know just how that last line feels. I'm fond of writing fibs, too. Best of luck with your on-going projects.

Mary Lee said...

Oh, yeah! I hear you!

Keri said...

You make me laugh with your wry observations about what appears to be a universal problem!

Penny Parker Klostermann said...

Love your humor!