Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Banana Stickers

So, today I voted here in the LA mayoral election... and I got one of those "I Voted" stickers. And I flashed back to childhood.

One day in either late elementary or early middle school, a friend and I had collected enough Chiquita banana stickers to give to everyone in the class and planned that at the top of the hour (I think it was), we'd all put said stickers on our noses and continue class as if nothing had happened.

My memory from here is even hazier, though I seem to recall the teacher continuing to lead the class without really acknowledging anything was amiss, though clearly aware.

What I don't recall was how I felt afterwards or whether the weeks of collecting stickers had paid off for me. I do know I never organized another banana-in. But to this day I have the urge to put stickers from bananas on my nose.

Nothing profound here, but it was a happy flashback for me and something I hadn't thought of in decades. And if you were there (or arranged a similar event!)... well... feel free to add your memories here. (You know... letting me know I'm not alone in my silliness!)

2 comments:

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

Love your banana sticker revolt... I'm quite partial to Chiquita Bananas actually. A long time ago, my friends and I used to sing a rendition of the Chiquita Banana song, complete with dance steps, before jumping in the pool on hot summer days.

As far as pranks go, once in middle school when we had a substitute teacher, everyone in class jumped out the window by the teacher's desk at an agreed-upon time. I wasn't the instigator, though, just a sheep... or maybe it was all just a dream???

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

It feels like this needs to end up in a book of yours...
just sayin'
Lee