Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Join Me in NYC for Kidlitcon 2012!


I'm excited to be going back to Kidlitcon after a two year absence. I hope some or ALL of you - yes, all!!!! - will be joining me for the fun. The conference itself is Saturday, September 29th in New York City. And , the conference is FREE. Yes, you read that right. You can register here.

Kidlitcon is an annual gathering of children's and YA bloggers... though it's open to ANYONE. It's a great place for authors and illustrators to learn about what book bloggers are thinking and doing... and vice versa. And if I were a publisher based in NYC, I'd send a lot of my staff to meet folks and listen and try to understand where value can be created in this space... and where it can't.

The schedule has been posted... and, lookie there! I'm speaking about avoiding the children's literature echo chamber. This is a bit ironic, as I'm flying across country to hang out with bloggers and authors and librarians in the children's literature world, of course, but I think it's a critical topic. Or put another way...

Those 100 million folks on Twitter? A huge number of them are potential allies, fans, supporters, word-spreaders, and book buyers. When we ignore this and only talk among ourselves, I think we miss out on a great opportunity.

Beyond that, there are fantastic talks and panels (some at the same time as me, even), and a keynote address from Maureen Johnson! Awesome stuff thanks to the conference organizers. And did I mention that all you have to do is register, cuz it's free?

Hope to see you there!

4 comments:

Helen N. Hill said...

Hello Greg: Thank you for a little more insight about the conference. Its my first year attending and I'm not sure what to expect.

I'm looking forward to it and hope to meet you in person.
All the best,
Helen

Greg Pincus said...

I've been three times, Helen, and have always been glad I went. The sessions are all good, and the people have always been fabulous! And it makes sense since we're all, one way or another, children's book folks.

Let's be sure to say "hi" in NYC. There won't be so many of us there that we have any excuse to miss each other!

Storied Cities said...

I am really looking forward to your session. The topic is of special interest to me but I have a lot to learn about using social media effectively.

Greg Pincus said...

I look forward to seeing you there, Storied Cities... and I like what you're doing a lot (obviously!).