Wednesday, January 20, 2010

"Ewwwwwww!" said the boys....

Today as a readaloud, I picked Judith Viorst's Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day cuz, like, everyone around here is getting rained on and denied recess and all that type of t.h.n.g.v.b.d. stuff.

The book came out 38 years ago, but each time I read "There was kissing on TV, and I hate kissing!" a few (or many) boys went "ewwwww!"

The whole book is like that really - close to perfection in 32 pages.

Some books are like that (even on a rainy day).

4 comments:

Amy Allgeyer Cook said...

I love that book!! We always read it aloud with the same inflection Arlo Guthrie uses on Alice's Restaurant.

Melissa said...

Very few books can say that they've truly survived the test of time. I agree: Alexander has. Now I need to go reread it.

Cheryl said...

I love that book, too! I also think it works beautifully. We've all felt it.

Gentle Reader said...

It's always been a favorite of mine. I think it's close to perfection, too!