Tuesday, August 05, 2008

More on the SCBWI Summer Conference

I have a whole new strategy for blogging the Conference: I'm just gonna point you to others who detail their experiences way better than I would detail mine. Cool. I will add a few thoughts of my own (cuz, like, that's what I do!), but I highly recommend going to check out 7th penguin Paula Yoo's blog (with that reference explained in this blog entry) and Stephanie Blake's Colorado Writer and the ever happening Disco Mermaids.

As for me, once again I had a blast, learned a ton, met great people, laughed myself silly, got inspiration, and now need sleep. There were, as usual, things I decided were "themes" of the event. The biggest one, to me, is probably biggest because I'm looking for it everywhere. No, no... not chocolate. Rather, it's the whole issue of technology, publishing, writing, illustrating, producing books... and how they all mesh. Change is in the air... though what that change might be, no one (self surely include!) knows exactly what that means. Still, anyone who has watched the newspaper industry or the music business over the last few years knows, change is coming and cannot be stopped. How will it impact all of us (and by "all" I mean everyone who loves children's literature no matter whether a creator, editor, promoter or all of the above)? Stay tuned cuz it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

1 comment:

Stephanie J. Blake said...

Thanks for the shout out! Had so much fun catching up with you and Rita and Leslie!

You can talk me down from the ledge anytime!