Thursday, March 30, 2006

It's a big post! Very big post!

As I take a break from my work, work, work today (hey! stop snickering!), I thought it was a good time to blog about one of my favorite net links:

Big Ad

(Those of you on Macs using Firefox... you may have issues. Go via Safari instead. And yes, it's worth it. And no, it's not a time suck.)

I don't just post this link cuz I find it the funniest/coolest beer commercial I've ever seen, but also because it leads me once again to muse about "humor." See, a few people I've shown that link to haven't thought it was at all amusing. Stunning, that. But I'm used to those diffences of opinion, as quite often my manuscripts and poems are viewed as age-innappropriate due to my style of humor. I happen to think kids get irony earlier than published reports. I think kids make connections and get references from an early age. I think kids will trust an author and rise up to their level, and anyone who's read William Steig much would have to say he'd agree with me. Is this true about every child? Nah. Then again, not every child likes Barney, either.

I fully grant that sometimes my humor's not gonna catch on, but based on my own experiences with humor and my older son, not to mention the reaction I've gotten while reading The Secret Knowledge of Grown-ups to 6-8 year-olds, I tend to think that kids will enjoy much more than they are usually given credit for. And that and $3.20 will get me a latte at Starbucks....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A VERY BIG ad, GK....Kinda impressive......BUT not funny at all !! ??

Greg Pincus said...

Humor's subjective, but for starters, Carmina Burana has deserved that type of treatment for some time, as it's sooooo overused in films/commercials. The lyrics are funny in their mock seriousness, contrasted with the music. The guys in yellow trying to get over the fence is simply hilarious in its, uh, underplayedness? The facial expressions throughout are pretty great. And the earnestness of the "beer" running into the belly makes me guffaw in that same "mock serious" way.

Heck, MC, there's a couple young'uns over this way who think it's funny :-)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I found that ad hilarious.

Hilarious!!

I was grinning from start to finish, and the payoff was great!

Anonymous said...

Someone showed me that awhile ago. I couldn't get over wondering whether it was CG or not (I think it wasn't) but somehow, that robbed it of some of its grandeur. That it could've been faked. Then it's just a cartoon.

Greg Pincus said...

Don't know how to tell ya this, but there's some CG and some regular old people (largely cast straight out of New Zealand pubs!) in the Big Ad. There'd be no cost efficient way to have that many people out there at once, so there had to be some compromise. But that's clearly a real person falling over the fence.

Heck, you want all real? Small Ad.

Not as good, I tell ya.

Anonymous said...

Excellent ad - and very funny. I showed it in my class and it got VERY BIG laughs.

Anonymous said...

I love it!! What a great, big ad!

Thanks so much for sharing all of your "stuff", it has definitely jump-started my creativity.