Friday, June 06, 2014

Poetry Re-Issue: Doughnuts! Oh, Doughnuts!

It's National Doughnut Day - a perfect time to re-issue this poem (originally posted in 2009).

Doughnuts! Oh, Doughnuts!
by
Greg Pincus

Doughnuts! Oh, doughnuts! Fried circles of yum.
You food that I simply adore.
You’re sure not nutritious, but you’re so delicious
I’m always left wishing for more.

I love you with frosting or covered in sprinkles.
I swoon for you, sweet, sugar raised!
When you’re filled with jelly, you warm up my belly...
While still leaving room for a glazed.

I’ll dip you in coffee or dunk you in milk.
I’ll eat you for breakfast or brunch.
I get so impassioned for simple old-fashioned
That sometimes I make them my lunch.

Doughnuts! Oh, doughnuts! Definers of yum.
You perfect fried circles of dough.
Although you’re caloric, you leave me euphoric...
So give me a dozen to go!


Today's also Poetry Friday, and you can check out the roundup of posts hosted at Carol's Corner. And then maybe you want to join me for a fried circle of yum? Yay!

Oh! You can find this poem and 53 others in my collection The Late Bird, available on Kindle (and all the free Kindle apps, too) and Nook

If you want to get all my new poems (and only the poems) emailed to you for freeee as they hit the blog, enter your email address in the box below then click subscribe!

5 comments:

Carol said...

Yum! We're having a potluck at school this morning! I'm supposed to bring eggs, but doughnuts sound really good! Love your ode to my favorite breakfast treat!

Tamera Will Wissinger said...

Love it, Greg. The internal caloric/euphoric at the end are a fun pairing. My favorite donut is chocolate glazed...may need that later with a tall glass of milk:)

Linda B said...

We had our final staff meeting today, & those who hosted remembered & brought donuts! Thanks for adding to my celebration!

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

A delicious ode, Greg! There's nothing like dunking an "old-fashioned" donut. I wonder if the store is still open tonight...

Mary Lee said...

This is just to say that I have been here and read your words, but surgery on both thumbs last Tuesday prevents me from typing a personalized comment. Forgive me -- copy/paste is the best I can do this week! :-)