Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Publishing, Whirled

I don't often talk about the world of publishing here at GottaBook, though it's not for lack of interest. And as things continue changing so rapidly, I find that I think about the business side of things more and more.

So it was with great interest that I watched, yakked in, and read tonight's #kidlitchat, all about the questions, really, of what it means to try and make money in this nutty business... and of whether the goal is to be published at any cost, to be well published, or to combine what we must do to make a living.

As usual in areas like this, there are no definitive answers. But as big publishing consolidates and publishing options expand, these choices are gonna be more and more prevalent. I think they're worth thinking about now, at least for those hoping to make a career out of writing. And if you're not, well, I'd still love to hear your thoughts!

1 comment:

Colleen said...

I'm so sorry I missed this one - we had appointments in SEA and didn't get back until late.

I will be reading the transcript though. I've been posing some of these same questions at my blog lately and no one seems to have many answers. Being published is good but...."then what" seems to be the universal answer.