Monday, March 29, 2010

Kenn Nesbitt, the Tighty Whitey Spider, and More

Kenn Nesbitt's poems have always made me laugh. In fact, I've been a fan since I stumbled onto his website, Poetry4Kids.com many moons ago (pre-GottaBook, even!). Also, Kenn was one of the poets in the inaugural 30 Poets/30 Days here last year and a big help in making the first year as successful as it was. So, I'm a fan on many levels.

That said, his new book, The Tighty Whitey Spider (with illustrations by Ethan Long) would make me a fan even if I wasn't already one. I'm lucky because his publisher, Sourcebooks, got me a book early, so I've already read Whenever Yaks Play Basketball, I Like My Triangular Cat, and Toby the Snowboarding Doberman. Yup. I have. I've heard some of the audio tracks you can hear when you get the book, too, all performed by Kenn. And guess what? The poems, the audio, and the book make me laugh. Nuff said.

You can judge for yourself, though. I'm gonna leave you with a poem that is in Tighty Whitey but debuted here at GottaBook last year: My Chicken's On the Internet.  Also, Kenn's last book, My Hippo Has the Hiccups is available as a freeeeeeee eBook until the end of National Poetry Month (or you can just enjoy it online at the same link). Go see if it makes you laugh, too. If it does, check out Tighty Whitey Spider if you want some more. I know I'm biased... but I think you'll end up agreeing with me anyway!

My Chicken's On the Internet
by
Kenn Nesbitt

My chicken's on the Internet.
She surfs the web all day.
I've tried to stop her browsing
but, so far, there's just no way.

She jumps up on the mouse
and then she flaps around like mad
to click on every hyperlink
and every pop-up ad.

She plays all sorts of chicken games.
She messages her folks.
She watches chicken videos
and forwards chicken jokes.

She writes a blog for chickens
and she uploads chicken pics.
She visits chicken chat rooms
where she clucks about her chicks.

I wouldn't mind so much
except my keyboard's now a wreck.
She hasn't learned to type yet;
she can only hunt and peck.

© Kenn Nesbitt. All rights reserved.
(originally posted here)

No comments: